Sunday, May 15, 2011

Week 3 Lab 1 - Vase

Process

This is how I create a simple vase.

I switched to the front panel. Using the CV Curve tool, I create several curves. This is because I wanted some parts of the vase to be linear and some parts of the vase to be curvy.

Then, I used to revolve tool and experimented with it. First, I set the pivot point of revolution by using the move tool and click on the vertex from which i started with. Then, I wrote down the Translate XYZ values and then input them into the pivot point on the revolve options menu. I tried to revolve the vase around the X axis, but it gave me something like this:

So I undo the revolve tool and instead changed the axis to revolve around to the Y axis. This is what I got for revolving around the Y axis:

Which is exactly what I wanted.

This is the end product of my strange looking, but awesome vase:


Techniques

Much like the previous bucket exercise, I used the revolve tool and create CV Curve tool to make this vase.

Reflection

This exercise is the easiest exercise so far.

This is because I only needed two techniques, the revolve tool and the CV Curve tool.

However, what I have learnt from this exercise is to use my own values and options by experimenting with the revolve options, instead of plainly following the pdf files that are provided to me as a step by step guide.

This exercise has given me more insight about Maya, in the sense that I am more familiar with surfaces related tools now.

I drew an outline of a vase, but it turned out to look like the goblet of fire from the Harry Potter movies. But, hey, vases can be oddly shaped right? :D

Overall, I enjoyed this exercise pretty much as I can get to make my own creation.

References

I did this all on my own.

No comments:

Post a Comment