Sunday, May 8, 2011

Week 2 Lab 2 - Cardboard Box


This is how I create a cardboard box.

Firstly, I create a polygonal cuboid with subdivisions of 3 for width, height and depth.

I then switched to the top panel, used vertex mode and selected the vertices in the middle row and then finally scaled them.

I then switched back to perspective mode and then using face mode, I selected the top face. I then extruded the top face downwards so that the box would have an interior.

I then extruded hinges out of the top faces of the box, and then extruded flaps out of the same faces. I then selected one top face, selected the top face opposite to it and then scaled them away. I then selected vertex mode.

I then selected the vertices on the top flaps, pick walked down, and then shift selected those vertices. I switched to the front panel and then moved the pivot of the rotate tool to the hinge of the flap, so that the flap would move properly.

I switched to edge mode. First, I used the edge loop tool to create more subdivisions and then proceeded to use the edge ring tool to select all the exterior edges. I then beveled those edges that I have selected.

I then selected the vertices of the subdivisions that i have created earlier using the edge loop tool and then moved them around, giving the flaps an irregular shape. After doing the same thing for the rest of the flaps, I smoothened the cardboard box.

I add nonlinear wave deformers into the box so that the box looks old.

This is the end product of my old and ragged box:


This is the broken edition of the cardboard box:

For the broken flap, I selected the faces of the flap that I wanted to be torn off and extract those faces. Then, at the part of the cardboard box from which the flap was torn off, I used vertex mode and moved some vertexes to give it a torn and irregular look.

Techniques

The techniques I have learnt here are the edge ring tool, the edge loop tool, smoothing, pick walking, wave deformers and vertex manipulation

The edge ring tool helps me to select edges quickly without the need of using shift select. It also helps me to select all edges that are parallel to that edge by double clicking on that specific edge.

The edge loop tool helps me to create subdivisions quickly.

Smoothing helps to make object look more realistic by smoothening out the sharp edges.

Pick walking helps me to select vertices that are directly below the vertices i have previously selected.

Wave deformers give the box a more old look.

Vertex manipulation is the most important technique here, it helps me make irregularities.

Reflection

This was one of the harder exercises I had to do.

For one thing, I was not very familiar with the edge ring tool at first, so when i tried to select the edges needed for beveling, I might end up accidentally double clicking the edge or selecting edges i do not want. This is an important matter, as my cardboard box might not turn to be what I expected. Therefore, I need to train my precision.

I also realised that i need to plan my work before I do it. This is because I can cause disasters such as unwanted configurations, unused polygons etc.

Although i find making this cardboard box rather tedious, I still enjoyed it overall.

References

2.3 MM_Cardboard Box Modelling.pdf
Maya online help

No comments:

Post a Comment