Sunday, May 8, 2011

Week 2 Lab 1 - Toy Blocks

Process

This is how i create simple toy blocks.

First, I create a polygonal cuboid on the grid. This would be used as the base polygon for the rest of my toy blocks that I am going to make.

As you can see here, I have region selected all the edges of the block and beveled it.

I then duplicated the original block and removed the bevel from the duplicated block. I then hid the original block. Then, I used the split polygon tool to create a line in the middle of the polygon. With that, I switched to the side panel and in vertex mode, drag the vertices at the top corners of the block down using snap to grid as a guideline.

I then used the edge ring tool to select the edges of the gable block. I used shift select the select the two edges at the corners of the block. This is because if i used edge ring tool and double clicked any of those edges, it would select the middle edge too. Then, i beveled the gable block.

I then duplicated the gable block and removed the bevel from the duplicated gable block. With that, I created a cylinder by using the gable block as the starting point ( with make live ). I then used the align tool to move the cylinder under the gable block and then with translate values, move the cylinder into the gable block.

I then used booleans - difference to cut a hole in the gable block. I then switched to edge mode and region selected all the edges except for the middle edge and the edges inside the hole cut by the cylinder. I then beveled the selected edges.

Lastly, I created a polygonal cylinder and a polygonal cuboid, beveling them.

This is the end result of my childish toy blocks:


Techniques

I have learnt how to bevel and use booleans - difference to create holes in this exercise.

The bevel tool is used to smoothen the edges of the objects so that they would not look so sharp and look more realistic.

The boolean - difference is used to create create holes or spaces inside an object.

Reflection

This exercise is the first exercise that I am writing a journal for.

I feel unsure on how to do this exercise at first, as I had no idea what beveling and booleans does. However, After I had finished with this exercise, I am more familiar with the terms that are used in Maya.

This is also my first experience in making models without using primitive shapes only.

Overall, I look forward to making more models of toys and objects.

References

2.2 MM_Blocks Modelling.pdf

No comments:

Post a Comment