Saturday, June 11, 2011

Assignment 1: Self Critique and Research


Self-Critique

I could say that my model looks about 95% similar to the original product.

Comparison of top view.

Comparison of side view.

Comparison of front view.

Comparison of back view.

I think that the general appearance of the object looks good and matches the real model, and that most of it is made of 4 sided polygons, but the reason I rate it at 95% is because there were some parts that were modeled wrongly.

For modelling the base, I used the method of simply shifting vertices around, without any deletion. It may seem fast at first, but at the later parts, the loose vertices would cause lots of lots of irregularities in the surfaces in which you have to find carefully where are these loose vertices. There are still some loose vertices at the bottom of the base of the arcade stick, but if i delete the edges around them, it would screw up the entire look of my model. This is my err in modelling.

Secondly, the part that i modeled wrongly was the back of the arcade stick, where the wire cabinet and buttons can be found. It cannot be seen in the picture i provided, but there are several lines behind the arcade stick. Also, the wire cabinet should not be protruding. The bottom two corners of the outline of the wire cabinet should be rounded but i did not bevel them. Also, there is supposed to be a clip at the bottom of the arcade stick and I did it the first time round. However, Maya crashed and I forgot to do it the second time round.

Research


As done in a previous blog post, this tutorial helped me learn about beveling corners to give them a smooth look, texturing and tips on how to model the buttons and the joystick of the arcade stick. Although this exercise was much easier, the output was less satisfying compared to the arcade stick I had done and this model was pretty much two times more simpler than the arcade stick I have created. However, the concept for the models as a whole are basically similar.


This tutorial teaches me more about booleans. It teaches me about why sometimes after using a boolean the geometry disappears. This is because of normals, that if the normal is pointing inwards, it needs to be flipped so that it can be used for a boolean. Also, I have learnt about the pros and cons of using booleans and why we should not use them all the time.


This tutorial teaches me on how to fit the texture of my art on to the art plane in proportion and how to use apply textures the correct way. It teaches me how to use a UV map to align the texture to proportion so that the ratio would be correct and the texture map would fit nicely into the plane or face/faces.

No comments:

Post a Comment